Puppy Raiser Hertford
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/Guide-Dogs-UK/opportunities/Puppy-Raiser-Hertford/48687 to join
SummaryWe are looking for very special volunteers who have the time, commitment and patience to support us in training the next generation of guide dogs!
Our volunteer Puppy Raisers develop and care for a guide dog puppies in their home from the age of 6-7 weeks to approximately 12-15 months.
You will be providing the puppy with a vital foundation for its future role as a guide dog with a blind or partially-sighted person.
This is a full-time volunteering role as the puppy will live with the volunteer
What does the role involve?
• Feeding, training and generally caring for a puppy's needs on a daily basis is time consuming and, particularly when very young, they cannot be left on their own for more than three hours
• You will develop and care for a puppy as directed by your supervisor and as described in Puppy Raising Policies and Procedures
• You will familiarise the puppy with many different environments
• Teaching basic obedience commands
• You will need access to a suitable area where the puppy could go to the toilet during the day, including first thing in the morning and last thing at night
Puppy raising is a labour of love! It is hard work but is greatly rewarding as you play a huge part in shaping our future guide dogs! You will have the satisfaction of knowing that the dog you have cared for is going on to improve the life of a visually impaired person, enabling them to get out and about on their own terms. You will have ongoing support from a dedicated member of staff who will work with you regularly to ensure your puppy is meeting it's training goals. You will also build friendships with other puppy raisers in your community, whilst you train and socialise your puppies together.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About Guide Dogs UK
We rely on our brilliant volunteers who give their time to help our charity in so many ways. There are many great volunteering opportunities to get involved in, even an hour makes a big difference.
We recognise the extraordinary efforts of all of our volunteers and we're really proud to have achieved the Investing in Volunteers accreditation for good practice in volunteer management.
Together, we can help people affected by sight loss live their lives to the full.