Trainee Gateway Assessors and Advisers
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/httpswwwcawatfordorguk/opportunities/Trainee-Gateway-Assessors-and-Advisers/48809 to join
SummaryHelp people in your local community by providing information and advice in person and over the phone on issues including benefits, housing, employment and debt.
This is a long-term volunteering opportunity which requires a regular weekly commitment of one day (or two half days) per week for a minimum period of one year.
Following a period of initial training you will begin your work with clients as a trainee gateway assessor. In this role you will:
· Respond to enquiries in person an over the telephone, exploring the issue and researching information to identify the most appropriate next steps for the client to take;
· Explain the client’s rights, responsibilities and options;
· Record details of the enquiry on our secure case management system;
· Contribute to our research and campaigning work by identifying unfair policies and practices arising from your work with clients.
After gaining experience as a gateway assessor you will further develop your knowledge and skills to become an adviser. In this role you will explore complex issues in detail, sometimes advocating for your client in writing or over the phone, or helping with form filling.
No prior experience is required but you will need to have:
· Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbally and in writing;
· An ability to relate to people from all sections of the community in a non-judgemental way;
· An ability to understand complex information and explain it clearly and simply;
· Attention to detail;
· Good IT skills;
· Time to commit to volunteering on a regular weekly basis for at least a year.
This is a challenging yet rewarding opportunity to give something back to your community. We offer a supportive and inclusive working environment in which you will work as part of a team of like-minded people. Full training and support are provided with continual opportunities for learning and development. We will also reimburse your travelling expenses. We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and walks of life to reflect the community we serve.