Modern Slavery Transport Volunteer Chaperone
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/The-Salvation-Army---Anti-Trafficking-and-Modern-Slavery-Unit/opportunities/Modern-Slavery-Transport-Volunteer-Chaperone/76683 to join
SummaryTo accompany Transport Volunteer Drivers in Transporting victims of Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking to a place of safety.
Description: To accompany Transport Volunteer Drivers in Transporting victims of Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking to a place of safety. You may be the first person to show care and empathy to the victim on their journey to recovery.
Location: Journeys can be anywhere in England & Wales and will be split with other volunteers if over a certain distance or time period.
Accountable to: National Transport Coordinator
Background: The Salvation Army has delivered the UK Government’s contract to provide support for victims of Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking since 2011. As part of the contract, The Salvation Army are required to provide a safe, effective & demand led Transport Service.
What you will do:
• Undertake transport journeys for victims as arranged by Transport Team
• Reply to notifications via smartphone app or text message to advise if you are available
• Complete and submit relevant paperwork
• Share any concerns about the victim with the transport team or relevant agencies whilst adhering to GDPR
• Communicate with all parties in relation to the journey
• Ensure the victim feels safe and is cared for
Skills / Experience needed:
• In sympathy with the general aims & values of The Salvation Army
• Sensitive interpersonal & communication skills
• Commitment to safeguarding and a willingness to raise concerns where appropriate
• Understand the importance of confidentiality & be able to keep confidences
• Good organisational skills
• We welcome applications from Husband & Wife / Families or teams of volunteers as all our volunteers travel in a pair
What you will get from us:
• Volunteer induction including ilearn courses (Safeguarding, Data Protection and Diversity, Equality & Inclusion)
• Transport Volunteer Handbook
• Ongoing support from the transport team
• Pastoral support from our chaplaincy network
• Opportunity to debrief after a journey with transport team or Divisional Volunteer Coordinator
• We ensure the safety of our volunteers are at the forefront of all our journeys. All journeys will be risk assessed and the well-being of our volunteers will be checked throughout the journey
• To complete all the required training before acceptance into the role
• A commitment to complete one journey a month or 12 over a 12-month period
To fulfill this role:
• Two satisfactory references
• An informal interview and introductory period
• Mandatory checks including Enhanced DBS
• Completion of all required training
• Have a passion and desire for wanting to transform and support the lives of victims of Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking
We ask that you support the mission, values and aims of The Salvation Army but with no requirement or expectation for you to be a Christian.
This role is unpaid, but costs incurred will be reimbursed as appropriate. Further information will be provided at induction.