Discover why the #powerof657 drives us every day and the difference you can make. A small, multi-award winning, family-centred charity, we have touched the lives of thousands of people across the UK ...
Trustees for Multi-Award Winning UK Charity
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/The-Muscle-Help-Foundation/opportunities/Trustees-for-Multi-Award-Winning-UK-Charity/53688 to join
Summary2022/23 is a pivotal time in our development, having just celebrated our 18th Anniversary year. We're seeking 3 new Trustees to join our Board.
Three exciting opportunities to bring your skills, talents, energy and experience in making a vital difference to the lives of vulnerable children and young people (8-28yrs) with Muscular Dystrophy.
If you have knowledge and experience of A) People/HR/Governance/Policy Management or B) Fundraising (income generation, corporate partnerships, major donor attraction) or C) Digital, we really want to hear from you.
As a Trustee, you will:
– Have an opportunity to help improve the lives of children, young people and their families
– Contribute to the governance of our small national charity
– Have strategic responsibility for a specific skill area e.g. corporate partnerships, fundraising (income generation), HR or digital
– Act as an advocate/champion in promoting our work across your network
– Receive induction, support and training
– Have an opportunity to bring your lived experience, in using (and further developing) your skills for the benefit of others
– Be a part of the team that will help the charity achieve its overarching 657 Muscle Dream mission
Our key criteria are that you have a commitment to the charity's values and enthusiasm, an understanding and passion for our work, great communication skills and a real desire to make a difference to the lives of our beneficiary community. We would also particularly welcome applications from individuals with skills and specific experience in:
1) People/HR/Governance/Policy Development
2) Fundraising (income generation, corporate partnerships, major donor attraction)
You may have close experience of living with muscular dystrophy, other disabilities or life limiting conditions, but this is not essential.
TIMINGS OF POWER HOURS & BOARD MEETINGS
The expected time commitment is approximately 4-6 hours per month, to include taking part in Trustee Power Hours (generally once a month) and Trustee Board meetings (generally once every three months) and being involved in occasional projects - MHF Trustees 'own' a 'bucket', in other words, an area of responsibility like 'HR' or 'Finance' or 'Safeguarding' that allows an individual to bring their skills, experience and talents to the charity.
What are we looking for?
An excellent communicator with listening, responding and interpersonal skills, able to both empower and challenge supportively.
A strong commitment to equality, and an understanding of disability and how for example this may impact on the quality of life and life choices for disabled people and their families.
You may have close experience of living with muscular dystrophy, other disabilities or life limiting conditions.
Commitment and time to dedicate to the role and responsibilities of being a Trustee.
Commitment to the charity’s vision, mission and values and a desire to make a difference to the lives of our vulnerable beneficiary community.
Understanding of the context in which the Muscle Help Foundation works, its values, and the importance of ensuring public confidence and trust in the charity.
Previous experience of working collaboratively as part of a team, using sound independent judgement and collective decision making.
The capacity to grasp issues outside personal experience and the ability to contribute to high level strategy development.
The ability to think creatively and strategically.
Commitment to equality and diversity in working relationships with other trustees, staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
Professional or relevant experience and knowledge and/or the ability to demonstrate the necessary skills needed to support the charity’s interests.
Specific Skills Sought:
- People, HR, Governance, Policy Management
- Fundraising (income generation, corporate partnerships, major donor attraction)
What difference will you make?
The role of a Muscle Help Foundation Trustee is to provide strategic leadership in line with the organisation’s objectives. Trustees will use their knowledge, skills, passion and experience to ensure that the charity achieves its objectives – as a Trustee, you will represent the interests of all stakeholders and act as an ambassador.
This is a hugely important role that will help ensure that the charity can continue its support for its vulnerable community, namely children and young people (8-28yrs) with muscular dystrophy in the UK.
AN AMAZING OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
As a Trustee, this is an amazing opportunity to bring your unique skill set to help the strategic progression of the charity in reaching its overarching goal to deliver 657 Muscle Dream interventions, that's one cherished moment-in-time that changes lives and gives hope, that's one experience for every muscle in the human body.
IN RETURN FOR YOUR COMMITMENT AS A TRUSTEE
- You will have an opportunity to help improve the lives of children, young people and their families
- Be part of an incredible team all rowing in the same direction
- Contribute to the governance of a small, multi award-winning national charity
- Have your voice heard and listened to
- An opportunity to work closely with one of Britain's most influential people with a disability (aka our CEO & Chief Muscle Warrior)
- Attend events, meet beneficiaries & families and by default, witness the impact of the charity's work
- Plus have strategic responsibility for a skill area such as: HR & governance, fundraising (income generaton), corporate partnerships or digital
- Network with other like-minded individuals with common values
- Receive induction, support and training
- And much more...
You will act as an advocate in promoting and championing MHF’s work across your network wherever possible, so others can learn about our work and impact, with a view to supporting the charity in some way.
As a small charity, we work tirelessly to bring together children, young people and their families, creating communities through empowering, transformational interventions, experiences and moments-in-time.
We are looking to grow and strengthen our Trustee Board by appointing a further two or three Trustees in the 2022 period. Please note that reasonable expenses will be covered. Thank you for showing an interest in being a Trustee at the Muscle Help Foundation.
Of course, if you have transferable skills which you feel would be beneficial to the success of our small family-centred charity, we would also love to hear from you.
The charity welcomes applications from individuals of all backgrounds and we will also welcome those who perhaps do not have experience of trusteeship to consider applying.
If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity or maybe you wish to have an informal conversation first before applying for the position, that's absolutely fine - in the first instance, please contact us via this portal.
Either way, the more information you can give the better in outlining your skills, talents and abilities. And remember, do please tell us what difference you believe you may be able to make and attach your CV with contact details.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About The Muscle Help Foundation
Our mission is to deliver 657 transformational, highly personalised wish-fulfilment interventions called Muscle Dreams for children and young people (8-28yrs) with Muscular Dystrophy who live in the UK. That’s one life-changing, cherished moment-in-time for every muscle in the human body.