St Albans Lions Club has been going since 1966 and it's volunteers support local and national/international charities. Our primary fundraising is running the 2nd hand bookshop in Hemel Hempstead ...
Bookshop Volunteer for St Albans Lions Club
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/St-Albans-Lions-Club/opportunities/Bookshop-Volunteer-for-St-Albans-Lions-Club/69576 to join
SummarySt Albans Lions Club runs a large charity bookshop and is looking for volunteers. We volunteer on Thursday afternoons and all day Saturdays
BOOKSHOP VOLUNTEER - JOB DESCRIPTION
The Lions Charity Bookshop based in the Marlowes Centre, Hemel Hempstead, Herts has been operating for about 20 years and has a long tradition of selling second hand books and related items. Run by six local Lions Clubs (Hemel Hempstead, Harpenden, Tring, Luton, Watford and St Albans) the bookshop is currently administered and lease held by St Albans Lions Club. We are open 7 days a week.
We receive lots of generous donations and we handle a massive range of different types of books in terms of value and subject area - from paperback novels to collectible items, children’s books, fiction and non-fiction. Our team of book volunteers ensure the efficient running of the shop alongside Lions Members who volunteer and deal with the public gaining donations for all six clubs which are key to supporting Lions grant donations locally and internationally.
Depending on the needs of the shop and your interests, you may be involved in the following:
- Using the shop's manual guidelines to sort books ensuring all books are sold at the quoted prices and marked up if possible above this level.
- Identifying and setting aside possible collectible items so that our visiting bookseller can view and buy these items
- Creating attractive displays across the shop including refilling empty shelves where needed. Sorting the donated books into the store at the back of the shop or putting donated books onto the shelves. Ensuring the window displays are fully stocked
- Providing customer service on the shop floor including locating requested books, taking card payments/money at the check out and answering customer queries
- Identifying those items which are unsaleable and arranging for these items to be recycled for which we receive a fee. Sorting black bag rubbish and cardboard for disposal where necessary
- Take in unused eye glasses which are recycled and sent to Eye Clinics in Africa and also give out Hearing Aid Batteries on behalf of Hemel Hempstead Hospital
We encourage our shop volunteers to develop an understanding of all aspects of the shop's work so that they can support as necessary.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
You do not need specific skills and experience but the following will be useful:
- Commitment to the Lions aims (‘We Serve’) and values of Lions Clubs International. This includes empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
- Ability to work within the Lions Bookshop policies and shop manual guidelines.
- Enthusiasm for reading and an interest in books
- Experience of being responsible for taking card payments/cash and ensuring the shop is kept secure (locking up, turning lights off at close of play etc)
- Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
- Able to deal with all ages and types of customer appropriately and in a good-humoured manner
WHAT THIS ROLE CAN OFFER THE VOLUNTEER
- You will be joining other volunteers who give their time voluntarily in support of grant giving to local and international charities. You will work alongside Lions Members who live and breathe the Lions aim and ethos of ‘We Serve’.
- Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience – relevant for CVs, job hunting, applications for courses etc.
- Deepen your knowledge about books and their subject matter
- Free parking in the Marlowes when volunteering
- Gain valuable experience in retail at a well-known international charity.
- An opportunity to volunteer on regular days of the week, usually timetabled every three months by our Club
- An opportunity to get to know Lions and Lions Members with a view to doing other volunteering with Lions or becoming a Lions Member
If you have the relevant skills & experience we will contact you as soon as possible after application and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering and what it entails
As soon as you have had an initial chat with us and after receipt of suitable references, we can agree a start date.