Volunteer Independent Visitors
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/NYAS1/opportunities/Volunteer-Independent-Visitors/53704 to join
SummaryWe are looking for Volunteers to befriend a young people who are placed in the care of the local authority.
· Do you want to make a difference to a young person’s life?
· Do you have 1- 4 hours per month to spare?
We urgently require more volunteers, so why not volunteer as a mentor/befriender for NYAS as an Independent Visitor for children and young people in care. Currently looking for Befrienders in the following areas: BALDOCK, BIGGLESWADE, HATFIELD, HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, MILTON KEYNES & STEVENAGE.
As a volunteer you will:
· Have fun, take young people on outings and maybe share a hobby, sport or interest
· Offer support and a listening ear and be a positive influence in a young person’s life and help build self- esteem and confidence
You don’t need any special qualifications
We are looking for reliable and dependable people from all walks of life
We will provide training and on-going support. We will pay expenses to a set limit.
Here is what some of our young people and volunteers have to say about this rewarding role:
· I like how my Independent Visitor isn’t anything to do with social services and is here to support me not to judge.
· They have boosted my confidence, now I feel like when I go places I can just relax and have fun.
· My young person always looks forward to me coming, they have had such a disjointed life, I am a stable figure in their life and this has to be important for them as everything else changes around them a lot.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
In Hertfordshire we are looking to recruit Independent Visitors (IVs) who are adult volunteers who befriends a young person in care. Often, an IV is the only adult who is not paid to spend time with the young person, which often leads to long lasting friendships.
Activities can involve developing new skills or practising new hobbies, or outings such as bowling, cinema trips or a walk in the park.
Each volunteer is carefully matched with a child or young person in care in their local area who shares similar interests.