Museum Front Of House Role
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/Lowewood-Museum/opportunities/Museum-Front-Of-House-Role/62863 to join
SummaryAs a Front of House volunteer you will welcome visitors to the Museum on open days and support with various tasks in the reception, shop and cafe.
What will I be doing?
You (and another volunteer) will be the first point of contact for all our visitors, providing a helpful and friendly welcome. You will greet and engage with visitors, provide information about the museum’s exhibitions and events as well as giving helpful information about what there is to see at the museum. You will also answer general enquiries and ensure that visitors have an interesting, enjoyable and memorable visit.
Full training will be given, and there is a helpful manual at the front desk. There will always be someone on hand to help if you need it.
• Assist in the opening and closing of the museum
• Welcoming visitors into the museum and when they leave, thank them for their visit
• Log visitors into the museum using a clicker/tally sheet
• Answer enquiries (by email and phone) in a friendly and helpful manner
• Answer the phone
• Selling shop and café items and keeping the stock replenished and tidy
• Using the till and handling money
• Stewarding the galleries (taking turns), reporting any maintenance issues.
• Handing out quizzes and trails to our younger visitors
• Using a VHF radio to communicate with other members of the museum team
• Ability to work within the museum’s guidelines, policies and procedures
What skills, qualities and experience do I need?
No experience or qualifications are necessary, but this role would suit people who:
• Enjoy meeting people
• Are welcoming and approachable
• Have good communications skills
• Enjoy working with other people, supporting other volunteers
• Enthusiastic and willing to learn about the museum
• Reliable, well presented, friendly and polite
• Are able to work with and without supervision
• Is happy to handle cash and work a till
• Is happy to use a laptop, to answer emails
• Is comfortable walking around the displays (ground and first floor)
What support and training will I receive?
We will provide you with front of house training. Supervision and support will be provided by our museum team.
There may also be opportunities to attend training through the likes of organisations like SHARE East of England (who support museums in the East of England to develop their skills) and the Hertfordshire Association of Museums.
There will be ongoing opportunities to review your volunteering, to check that it is meeting your expectations and we are both happy in the volunteering relationship. This will enable us to offer ongoing support and further training if required.