Museum Collections Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/Letchworth-Garden-City-Heritage-Foundation/opportunities/Museum-Collections-Volunteer/59920 to join
SummaryPassionate about local history? Looking for hands on experience in a museum? We’re looking for volunteers to help at our ACE-accredited museum collection.
As a Museum Collections Volunteer, you’ll be key to the care and presentation of our fascinating Garden City Collection which contains over 250,000 objects, photographs, plans and more.
You’ll get to handle the collection and help care for the objects. You’ll work alongside like-minded people and have the opportunity to research and share information about the history of Letchworth Garden City.
The impact you’ll have
You’ll be helping to preserve the Garden City Collection for future generations and keep it accessible to the public.
What you will be doing
- Packaging, numbering, and storing objects in the museum collection
- Maintaining the objects and archives
- Cataloguing objects and adding new acquisitions to our public database
- Practical maintenance such as dusting and hoovering
- Helping respond to public and academic enquiries
- Opportunity to research items and create social media posts
This role is for you if you’re
- Passionate about heritage and local history
- Looking hands-on experience in a museum collection
- Eagle eyed and have attention to detail
- Happy to complete the necessary training
- Able to follow health and safety procedures
What’s in it for you
- Hands-on experience in an ACE-accredited museum collection
- Gain in depth knowledge of Letchworth’s local history
- Opportunities for training and learning from museum sector experts
- Be a key part of preserving Letchworth’s history and telling the town’s story
- Meet like-minded people