Hertsmere Mencap is a charity, offering support to over 200 learning disabled people (members) and their families living in Hertsmere.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for our members ...
Evening Activity Volunteer for Hertsmere Mencap
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/Hertsmere-Mencap/opportunities/Evening-Activity-Volunteer-for-Hertsmere-Mencap/64539 to join
SummaryHertsmere Mencap is looking for volunteers to help at our Jubilee Club on a Tuesday and Youth Club on a Thurs in Borehamwood, WD6.
Evening Activities Volunteer
Hertsmere Mencap is a small and active charity, supporting a membership of 250 children and adults with a learning disability along with their families and carers. Our mission is for people with a learning disability to be valued equally, listened to and included. We run a daily member activities programme, a weekly social club, a children’s holiday club and a drop-in for members and families where people can socialise, have a drink and can get support and advice. We employ four part-time staff, assisted by sessional workers and we have a strong team of dedicated volunteers.
We are looking for volunteers to help the Activity Facilitator with the smooth running of our Tuesday Jubilee Club and our Thursday Youth Club (based in Borehamwood WD6). You will help us to fulfill our aims and to continue - and extend - our reach, activities and the support we give our members. You will make a real difference to a charity that helps people in their daily lives.
Relevant training will be provided and you will receive a DBS check – paid for by Mencap.
Key Tasks to perform:
- Assist the session Activity Leader with the setting up tables and clearing away of the session prior to the members arriving and once the session has finished
- Encourage the members to participate fully in the activity and show enthusiasm for the topic / theme of the session
- Making teas and coffees for the members at break time and ensuring the venue’s kitchen remains clean
- You may be required to perform other duties as directed by the Charity or your supervisor from time to time to meet the needs of the organisation
Experience and Personal Attributes:
- Experience of or an interest in working among people with a learning disability
- The ability to create a constructive relationship with people with a learning disability and to motivate them
- A willingness to accept change and to be innovative in working with people with a learning disability
- A good organiser and communicator who is not phased by the specific needs of those with learning disabilities
- Someone who is friendly, empathetic and approachable and has a welcoming and inclusive approach
About Hertsmere Mencap
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for our members and their families by reducing the risk of loneliness and isolation and providing our members with fulfilling activities that also increase their opportunities to socialise and make new friends.
We run a programme of daytime activities for (18+) Adults at a local hall in Borehamwood. Our activities are designed to focus on building confidence, independence and learning new skills. Our daily activities consist of arts &crafts, an evening social club, a drop in Coffee Morning, Drama and Dance Aerobics.
We run a Playscheme (Noah's Ark) for children (5-16) with a learning disability and their siblings. The playscheme runs during school holidays (Summer, Christmas, and Easter) and provides a fun and stimulating experience, including activities and outings.