Office or Remote Volunteer Family Support Worker – Live Chat
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/Family-Lives/opportunities/Office-or-Remote-Volunteer-Family-Support-Worker--Live-Chat/49382 to join
SummaryFamily Lives was formed over forty years ago by volunteers with the aim of ensuring that all parents had somewhere to turn before they reach crisis point.
Remote Family Support Volunteer – Live Chat
We know that the right support at the right time makes all the difference. Family Lives provides targeted early intervention and crisis support to families who are struggling.
Mission: We build better family lives together.
Vision: Families should have access to active support and understanding.
Values: Trustworthy, Compassionate and Collaborative
Purpose of the role: To be part of a flexible team providing empathic, caring and informed support to families, carers and others who use our services.
Live chat: is a free confidential service that is accessed via our website. Service users are offered emotional support, information and advice and guidance on a broad range of family issues.
Supervised by: The Shift Supervisor
Activities: The volunteer will be fully supervised, supported and trained to provide the following activities:
· Provide emotional support to family members via our live chat service
· Use the Family Lives support model and tools to provide an empathic responses
· Ensure that all service users receive a high quality experience
· Sign post users to other agencies for information and additional support
· Complete conversation data records
· Alert the shift supervisor to any difficult situations
General: Volunteers should be willing to:
· Attend the relevant volunteer training
· Maintain confidentiality and adhere to the other policies and procedures of the organisation
· Participate in regular support, supervision meetings and learning sessions as agreed
For home based volunteers only:
· Volunteers will need a Laptop/PC, plug in headset with microphone, fast broadband and a private place to work from home
· Volunteers need to be IT/PC literate and confident troubleshooting should they have technical difficulties
Time: We would be looking for volunteers to commit to one four-hour shift per week, plus attending training and supervision.
Location: working remotely from home
You need to be a UK resident.
Supervision and Support:
· Supervision during shifts
· Debrief after every shift
· 1 to 1 supervision every 6 months
· Staff available outside of shift within office hours
· Annual review
The Benefits of Volunteering:
· Satisfaction in making a real and lasting difference to families who are struggling
· An opportunity to develop experience for CV and references. Family Lives is committed to helping volunteers develop their own learning and development, gaining new skills, knowledge or work experience
· Being part of a team of Family Lives volunteers and staff
· Personal development
· Opportunities to meet and interact with a wide range of people
· Out of pocket expenses reimbursed to a maximum of £10 per session if working from a centre
· Flexible hours
Volunteer Person Specification. We are looking for individuals who:
· Have experience of parenting/being in a parenting role or demonstrable experience of working with parents or children e.g. in their work, previous volunteering or a previous role
· Have an ability to respond empathically to emotional content
· Good written and verbal communication
· Have good keyboard skills and IT skills, with a minimum of 45 wpm
· Can demonstrate a willingness to question their own attitudes e.g. toward different forms of parenting
· Have a fluent, descriptive and expressive use of English
· Can remain open minded and non-judgemental
· Willing to commit to work within Family Lives’ policies, in particular our Confidentiality Policy and Risk of Harm Procedures
· Willing to commit to attending regular supervision and support sessions
· Willing to work as part of a team
· Willing to commit to a mutually agreed period or ideally a 12 months commitment to the organisation.
Typing Task Prior to Application for Live Chat
Prior to you submitting your application for a Live Chat Volunteer, we will require you to do a speed test, we ask for a minimum speed of 45 words per minute.
Please take a screen shot and send it across with your application
You can have up to 3 attempts and decide which result you would like to forward as part of your application
Go to the website typingtest
You are required to take the one minute typing test recording all of the results (speed, number of errors and adjusted speed).
We have remote voluntary call taker training groups taking place on:
November 2023 Remote Call Taker Training 2023
Module 1- Monday 13th November
Module 2 – Thursday 16th November
Module 3 – Monday 20th November
Module 4 – Thursday 23rd November
Module 5 – Monday 27th November
10am to 2pm
Saturday Remote Call Taker Training 2024
Module 1 - January 13th
Module 2 - January 20th
Module 3 - January 27th
Module 4 - February 10th
Module 5 - February 17th
10am to 2pm
What we will provide to volunteers🤝 Extra support
About Family Lives
Every year, we support families across the country to work through difficult experiences such as poverty, behavioural problems, relationship stresses, and countless other issues. We could not support these families without the dedication, passion and generosity of over 300 volunteers.