Herts Family Support Service - Children's Activity Support - Group Helper
Scan me or visit www.govolherts.org.uk/o/Barnardos3/opportunities/Herts-Family-Support-Service---Childrens-Activity-Support---Group-Helper/76182 to join
SummaryGroup helper within groups for parents/carers & children at North Herts Family Centres (various locations)
Barnardo’s is committed to providing ‘Better Outcomes for More Children’. Our children’s services volunteers help the charity to deliver essential services in local communities, providing support to over 300,000 children, young people and their families. This role provides a great opportunity to join our fantastic children’s services and help make a real difference.
Barnardo’s has been commissioned by Herts County Council to run the Family Centre Service in North Herts. The North Herts areas where groups take place are Hitchin, Letchworth, Baldock and Royston.
We work closely with other agencies, including midwifery, health visitors, social workers and support services to ensure that families in our community thrive.
We run a range of groups and courses, both universal and targeted and are looking for volunteers to support/lead universal groups working closely with the Early Start team.
We are looking for Children’s Activity Support volunteers, with a passion for making a difference in children’s lives, a fun and approachable attitude and an ability to engage young people in worthwhile and enjoyable activities.
Why we want you
Barnardo's protects, supports and nurtures the UK's most vulnerable children. Barnardo's helps bring out the best in children – no matter who they are or what they have been through. Our volunteers help make this happen.
What you will be doing
- Planning and organising group activities, which take into consideration age, abilities and interests of members.
- Setting up group activities in advance and clearing away afterwards. This might include preparing refreshments/snacks, organising the layout of the room, preparing resources and tidying the room after the group.
- Assisting children and young people to improve their self-confidence, develop social skills and build positive relationships.
- Role modelling positive behaviour and interactions during sessions.
- Collating and evaluating feedback from children, young people and parents.
- Adhering to Barnardo's policies and procedures at all times, including Barnardo's: Safeguarding; Equality, Diversity and Inclusion; Health & Safety; Data Protection; Confidentiality; Recording policies and procedures.
- Participating fully in training and supervision.
- Volunteering within Barnardo's Basis and Values.
The skills you need
- Reliable, punctual and trustworthy.
- Approachable and welcoming.
- Passion, enthusiasm, compassion, understanding and having an open minded approach.
- Being passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, young people and families.
- Preferably have some experience of working with children, young people and families.
What's in it for you
- Full induction and training.
- Other training opportunities relevant to the volunteer role.
- Regular supervision and support.
- Out of pocket expenses agreed in advance.
- Access to the Barnardo’s internal vacancy listing.
- Our volunteers tell us about lots of other benefits of volunteering including; experience of working with children, young people and families; experience for your CV; supporting your local community; meeting new people; increasing self-confidence; feeling like you are making a difference; improving your health and wellbeing; and a chance to contribute to a worthwhile children’s charity.